Saturday, October 16, 2010

Mama's 1 Cor. 13

I was reading "A Mother's Heart" by Jean Fleming last night - and ran across something rather profound.

She had paraphrased 1 Corinthians 13 for her motherhood journey...it convicted, challenged, and encouraged me...hopefully it will do the same for you.  The thoughts in parentheses are mine. Just so you know!

If I keep my house immaculately clean, and am envied by all for my interior decorating, but do not show love in my family - I'm just another housewife.
 (With a surprisingly clean house...and hair loss from stress)

If I'm always producing lovely things - sewing, art; if I always look attractive, and speak intelligently, but am not loving to my family - I am nothing.
 (I really just hope to shower each day....so that is not as much of a struggle)
 If I'm busy in community affairs, teach Sunday school, and drive in the carpool, but fail to give adequate love to my family - I gain nothing.

Love changes diapers, cleans up messes, and ties shoes - over and over again.

(Which is why I buy velcro shoes)

Love is kind, though tired and frazzled.

Love doesn't envy another wife - one whose children are "spaced" better, or in school so she has time to pursue her own interests. 

Love doesn't try to impress others with my abilities or knowledge as a mother.

Love doesn't scream at the kids.

Love doesn't feel cheated because I didn't get to do what I wanted to do today - sew, read, soak in a hot tub.

Love doesn't lose my temper easily.

Love doesn't assume that my children are being naughty just because their noice level is irritating. 

Love doesn't rejoice when other people's children misbehave and make mine look good. Love is genuinely happy when others are honored by their children. 

There are no parenthetical phrases on the bottom half of comments - because they would all read like this...

(Ugh. I really didn't want to hear that.)

Would you change anything, add anything, disagree with anything stated above?
Copyright 2010

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this!! I really needed this today, how did you know? I am finding myself, on the tail end of an incredibly long deployment, at the end of my rope firs thing in the morning, ugh! Thanks for reminding me to love gentler with God's help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have spent this lazy morning, catching up on your posts, and this one spoke (or should I say "YELLED") at me. I am pretty sure I will be hand writing some of these quotes, and strategically placing them throughout my house today. So encouraging, but mostly rebuking. I think I have found new ways to pray for myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad this was encouraging/challenging to you all as well! I have to reference this daily. I find it especially hard when their is an accident in the bed...and I just caught up the laundry, or a drink is spilled...on my freshly mopped floor. Why is it that they must make their worst messes when the house is the cleanest??? (Perhaps this should become a post?!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts and encouragement!