Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Cocoa Bean Moments....

Today I was an idiot. 

Not my normal way to start these posts out...but stick with me. 

Anyway. I completely forgot that Boy Bean HATES BBQ sauce. Really. This is an exceptionally hard aversion for me to remember because I LOVE BBQ.  Today I made the mistake of eating BBQ and had to pay the penalty:

Quality time with my head hung over the commode. 

I have now written some sticky-notes and posted them in my diaper bag, menu drawer, and refrigerator...so hopefully this will be the last time I forget this particular food problem.

That is all VITAL back-story to the Cocoa Bean Moment that occurred today....

While I was preparing to relieve my stomach of its contents....String Bean sat on the floor next to me, highly perplexed. She asked me, "Mommy, can I rub your back? Call someone? Get you a glass of water? Put my hand on your forehead? How can I take care of you?"

I waffled between telling her to stop asking me questions...and taking her up on her offers. Thankfully, the kind part of me won out....and I received a totally-awesome-5-year-old back rub. It actually really calmed me down.

Then Jumping Bean started singing "You are my sunshine" to me...that is our song to sing whenever someone is crying, or upset, or needs calming. We tweak the words just a bit so this was how Jumping Bean sang to her pale-faced mama:

You are my sunshine
My Mommy sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You'll never know dear
How much I love you
I love you more and more every day.

Bitty Bean's contribution to the take-care-of-mommy-effort was to come and pull my hair. Pretty sure she was trying to pat my head.

After I kicked them out of the bathroom so I could throw up and not scare them and then clean up a bit...I entered the kitchen.

There I saw one glass of water, two bowls of applesauce, frosted mini wheats, and a whole lot of napkins. String Bean knew her sisters were hungry and knew I was in no state to figure out food....so she took the initiative and pulled out food. And filled a water glass for me. 

And I realized - I am not the best mom in the world by any stretch of the imagination. But I just might be the best-loved mom in the world.

And then I cried happy tears for the moment was sweet.

Copyright 2010

5 comments:

  1. Ok, I just cried! That is so sweet! Give Canaan a big kiss and hug for me! Tell her that I hope Leona is as sweet and kind as she is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What sweet children!! What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww love it!! you are so blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very, very sweet indeed! Not the throwing up- but the kindness and love that your children showed you. You can't teach these things. They happen because of the wonderful, loving mom and family that they are a part of. What a snapshot of very special times to come with them. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so funny, what sweet kids. I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts and encouragement!