Saturday, August 11, 2012

Time....

Well, it's that time again.

Time to write all schedules in pencil.

Time to plan on My Love not being around.

Time to be thankful for the seconds spent together, because over the next year - that is what our time will as a family of 6 will feel like.


Seconds. Moments. Brief ones.
My Love is almost done with a 6 week school - 5 weeks down.

Which really isn't that long in the grand scheme of things - except when I realize how few weeks he'll be home over the next year (or so). As a grown up, I have a better grasp on the time - I can see the end, even when it feels (or is) extremely far away.

My Beans don't have that perspective.

So today - this morning, my Jumping Bean missed Daddy.


Deeply.

She was happily obeying and making her bed to finish her "start the day" chores...when I complimented her:

"Good job big girl! You are working so hard and doing such an excellent job!"

She responded with a smile,
"Yep, I'm like Daddy. 
I work hard and do my best. 
Just like him."


Then she sat on the bed and said,
"I wish he was home. It is just so much better with him here. I miss him."
My sweet Jumping Bean then climbed in my lap, wrapped her arms around my neck, and sobbed.

She sobbed because she misses her Daddy. 
The one who wrestles, 
who snuggles, 
who hugs, 
who comforts, 
who challenges, 
who adventures with, 
who laughs with, 
who corrects, 
and who teaches her like no one else. 
As my shoulder was soaked and my heart broke, she choked out,
 "I just like him home better."


And this Mama cried right along. 
Because I do too.


I have the perspective - I see what's coming.  And I know it will be a hard year for all of us. It will not be the end of the world. It is not the worst thing ever - but at times, it will feel like it.

So over these next few months, I intend to treasure each second we have together. Hopefully, it will get me in the habit of doing that with all the people I love.


Because you rarely know what the next moment holds.


~Whitney
 Copyright 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughts and encouragement!